Monday, February 9, 2009

Life at our place

It has been an interesting past couple of weeks. I've found a new hobby: CRAIGSLIST. No, I'm not even spending money, we are selling things!

I was on there the other day and saw that someone wanted a pygmy billy goat. The great part is I had 2 to sell. He came from south of Hinkley and bought one of them and I convinced him to buy a very pregnant pygmy nanny too. (I wasn't interested in crawling around delivering babies).

Then, I posted our chickens. Shawn was going to take them out back and eliminate them. They had quit earning their keep. If they can't lay enough eggs to pay for their food, we don't want them. He ordered new ones and I posted our older laying hens on Craiglist. Someone came from Mora and bought them.

Another lady had posted that she wanted a baby pygmy, angora, or fainting goat. I had a baby born on 12/27. She was sold yesterday.

Now, I have only 3 pygmys left to sell and am corresponding with people who may be interested. Hopefully they go soon. Then, I will be left with goats that are larger and tend to stay in the fence much better. I will be done with the raising of pygmy goats! Maybe all the lilacs, roses, apple trees, cedar trees, etc. will be able to grow if the goats aren't out eating them!

As I'm selling, Shawn is looking for things to buy. I'm not sure it is supposed to work that way :). He is looking for a boar and we are corresponding with someone and hoping to get one this week. We are keeping 3 of our sows and plan to raise our own little piglets for butchering. It would be so cute to have little piglets.

Shawn continues to not be feeling real well. He got a cold and hasn't been able to kick it very fast. I'm starting to get it, but hoping it doesn't hit me as hard as it has hit him. It made for a less productive week for him. He has a job lined up to be starting next Monday so hoping he is fully recovered by then.

We are down to 5 weeks to the due date. Starting next week, I will be going to Hibbing every week for an ultrasound and fetal monitoring and then doctor's visits once a week. Should be a lot of fun :) The doctor told me to plan on the trips to the hospital taking about one and half hours each week. At least I'll be comfortable with the maternity floor by the time the baby comes and will probably have met all the nurses. She is going to try and get the visits as late in the day as possible so I'm not taking a bunch of vacation time from work.

How are things going for everyone else? What is new?

4 comments:

Forstie said...

We have been busy around here, doing what I don't know but the time does go by. Last week-end thru Monday was cold and rainy, this morning my car was covered in frost and the house roof was a skating rink, all this at 39 degrees. We will take it when we can get it, summer is coming. Kendra is doing photography {lucky for her the rain held off till Sat. night or her wedding would have been soggy.} The kids and dogs are doing well and growing like weeds, the kids fight all the time and talk non stop. Nor do they eat their supper. Kendra has a show the Sunday of winter services, but we will be there Friday and Saturday, hope the weather is nice. We made a new booth for Kendra, it turned out super nice and gives a more professional look the her company....P.L.

Forstie said...

I am always looking on craigslist for stuff to buy! but I never buy.

Hope shawn is feeling better! no fun being sick.

Wow! down to the last month already!! time flies. Is that your Dr's standard? ultrasound and monitering the last month?? Good luck with the last leg of being uncomfortable! Cant wait to see pictures of the new baby, it will be here before you know it!

kendra

lindula said...

I think we have to get rid of the internet. As I'm going to sleep at night, Shawn heads out and I inquire "Where are you going?" His reply: "Shopping". He has an account set up on Ebay now. OH NO!!! :L

lindula said...

Good for you on selling some of the goats and chickens on Craigslist. Hope Shawn finds something to spend all the profit money on. Jason and Sarah bought a foreclosed home last week and it needs a lot of work. Mauri and I spent last weekend working there. Five layers of wallpaper on some walls to take off. Tore out the bathroom and the whole kitchen needs to be redone. It will be a very nice place when they are done with it. Jim is still driving truck and loving it. Don't get to see him much as he's always gone roaming the country. Glad to here that everyone is doing well and that the new baby will be here soon. See Ya All Dan